Why We’ll Continue to Address Inequality Through Low-cost Housing Development in South Africa
We at GIC understand the need for quality low-cost housing development in South Africa, which is why we deliver superior projects every time. While our government has strong commitments to providing shelter for low-income households, there is still a long road to walk with the work that lies ahead. South Africa’s shocking statistics show us that in 2022 there were still 2 700 informal settlements across the nation. Sadly, many of these settlements are situated on land prone to housing crises and remain in dire need of upgrading. Gap Infrastructure Corporation helps to alleviate these challenges by providing low-cost housing development solutions that create a safer, brighter future for the most vulnerable among us.
How GIC’s Low-cost Housing Development Projects Benefit South Africa
In “Unequal Scenes”, a 2016 aerial photography project that was created to document some of the world’s most unequal locations, we see stark disparities within South Africa. With lavish suburban neighbourhoods and impoverished townships separated only by mere metres, it is clear that many people are stuck without prospects. Housing and service delivery is fundamental to human dignity, and we at GIC are passionate about changing lives in this way. In the last five years, we have established and upgraded over 30 000 full-title stands. We prioritise turnkey low-cost housing development solutions and consider these communities in need to be our esteemed clients. When affordable housing solutions and services are made accessible, one can expect to see benefits within a community such as:
- A higher standard of living: Market-rate housing is simply too expensive for many South Africans. Low-cost housing development projects make high-quality shelter and services a possibility for those who would otherwise be without these basic needs.
- Improved well-being thanks to better access to basic services: Through our town planning and development services, we can formalise informal settlements and ensure that communities have greater access to basic services such as transportation, schools, medical care, and more. This leads to improved well-being, both physically and psychologically.
- Boosting the local economy: We boost the local economy of the communities we serve in two ways. First, when the living standards of a community are improved, residents are greatly empowered when it comes to finding employment. Second, we support local expenditure when it comes to our low-cost housing development services by sourcing both labour and materials from these communities.
- Decreasing unemployment: Earning a stable income when one has to struggle for shelter and basic services is a major challenge. We strive to meet the people’s most basic needs, such as housing, water and electricity, and safe roads, so that they can focus on building a future for themselves.
- Better community cohesion: A community united in improving their lives and given the hope of a better tomorrow are more likely to have increased social cohesion. This means better support among members, and decreased issues like crime.
South Africa is currently facing a severe housing shortage for those in need, and our projects and initiatives are a phenomenal step in the right direction.
Contact Us Today to Learn More
As a top P3 infrastructure developer in South Africa, GIC is well-equipped to make the changes that redefine spaces and change lives. To learn more about our offerings, contact us here.